Reassessing Lofty Goals

February 11, 2018

Reassessment

Last week I planned to mill up 3.25 trees, make 3 staffs, 3 staff slings, 4 knives, and a bow. What I actually accomplished is to mill 0.75 trees and waste 2 days in traffic. The knives thankfully only need a little handle detail work and they will be making their way to the etsy shop and The Rendezvous store Tuesday night. The large part of this is a direct response to the slow progress on milling (detailed below) and 3 days wasted.

My goal is to work 5 days a week on these projects: M T Th F S. Sunday I hope to always use as a day of reflection, reassessment, and research. I’m also going to start completing at least one entry a night. Theres almost 100 partial plant entries unlisted on the site that just need a few details to finish them up to where I’m happy with them.

I’ll also be adding leather key fobs to the items for sale. Those will be available for purchase and order as soon as tomorrow night, starting at $5 a piece. Of course the designs that will be shown are only examples of what could be on the fob. Feed back on these and all items will be greatly appreciated.

Book of the week: http://amzn.to/2CeUiBl

This week its 12 Rules For Life, and I’ll be reading it with you! If you’ve already read it, let me know what you think of it and these 12 magical rules for getting your life in order. Who knows, maybe shrinks actually have something figured out.

Alaskan Saw Mill, First Impressions

As I mentioned in my February update, I’m attempting to gather up timber from fallen trees around the property to use for projects. This past week I did manage to get almost 2 trees cut into rough planks and set up into a pile. I spent 2 days doing this, which is rather unremarkable as far as speed goes. I honestly expect to have three times the volume cut in the same amount of time, but there are a few factors are at play here, listed below:

  • Chain type and sharpness

  • Saw power and maintenance record

  • type of wood

The type of chain I’ve been using is a ripping chain recommended by the company. It was sharpened to the factory guidelines with a mounted electric chain saw sharpener to ensure the teeth were all sharpened to the same depth. (For the curious, 20 and 0 degrees)

I’m using a Stihl MS250 with the factory standard parts, all of which are original and4 years old. This includes the filters, which have since been replaced in an effort to increase the speed of cutting this next week. In hind-sight I should have had the saw overhauled at the first of the year instead of attempting this first.

The trees I’m cutting up include 2 freshly felled pine trees, 1 three year old red oak, 1 six month old pecan, and 2 red oaks that were felled during a bad wind storm. The pine trees are nearly completely turned to timber while the other trees remain untouched because of the major time investment this has been thus far. I’ve debarked all of these log segments with a draw knife prior to milling to extend chain life as according to the manual.

Before I pass judgment on this attachment I do plan to see if the new fuel and air filter improve its performance considerably. I will also be testing with a hardwood chain to see if that improves speed at the urgings of my father. He really just wont let up on that idea because of how well they cut across the grain. I’ll also refrain from debarking the trees unless I see a drastic decline in performance from skipping this step. Obviously this can hold risk of hitting bits of old fence or stray bullets, nails and the like that otherwise could be spotted if the bark was removed.